Promoting a Culture of Laboratory Safety
At CEBC, our researchers are not merely trained in safety procedures that align with industry standards. They are also trained to look out for each other and promote a culture of safety. By encouraging our colleagues to be safe, we create a laboratory environment that is safe for everyone.
A Laboratory Safety Committee is responsible for coordinating the policies, training, and oversight of CEBC laboratories. This committee is made up of students, postdocs, and center staff. It serves as a resource for all CEBC researchers.
All researchers must attend mandatory monthly lab safety meetings on the second Wednesday of each month (9 am, Building B, room 104). Safety efforts are also reflected in grades and performance evaluations for CEBC students, staff and research associates.
Safety Training (required for all CEBC researchers)
- New researchers start here: Safety training checklist
- CEBC Safety Manual (pdf)
- Online safety training instructions (pdf)
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) Template (Word Doc)
- Emergency evacuation plan (pdf)
- Form (doc)
- All researchers should conduct a hazard review whenever there is a new procedure or change to an existing procedure. For details about how to perform a hazard review, see this Guide (pdf)
Checkout Process for Departing Researchers
Near-Miss Reporting (required for all CEBC researchers)
Resources on External Websites